Friday, March 12, 2010

The Weaving of Not-Gray

Well, $575 later, I have new front brakes and four new tires. Somehow, I'm not as thrilled as one might expect after that sort of outlay.

I walked downtown to go pick up my car - about an hour's walk, luckily literally almost all downhill. The sky was overcast, but no rain. The piles of yucky snow still prevail...

GraySnow

But lo! The snowdrops are up in my front garden!

Climbing

No sign of the snow crocuses, though - do you see any here?

NoCrocuses

Me neither.

Anyhow, when I came home, I took a good, long look at this warp.

StalledWeaving

Pretty colorful, isn't it? This is a sample krokbragd weaving that has been like this since shortly after I finished the rag rug a couple of weeks ago. The warp is 8/4 cotton rug warp; the weft is Paternayan needlepoint yarn. I thought I would just play with the Paternayan, since I have a good bit of it and yet don't needlepoint any more.

Somehow, I'm not fascinated by this, I think because it's just a sample, with no particular project in mind, and because the small skeins of needlepoint yarn are a little too small to get a good rhythm going. So, shortly this won't exist. I don't intend to let all of $3 worth of yarn stop me from weaving.

Instead, I took this:

Before

And did this:

During

And came up with this:

DyedSkeins

These are skeins of French Hill Farm Coopworth/mohair I spun last year (sorry about the lousy photo, but it was night by the time I finished dyeing. Plus, you're used to my crappy photos, right?). A few hours hovering by the dyepot, and I have five really lovely colors (yes, yes, there's a blue there) with which I intend to weave myself a krokbragd bag.

But they'll take a day or so to dry, especially because it's supposed to pour over the next two days, so in the meantime...

Well, that's a story for another post, isn't it?

3 comments :

Manise said...

Pretty skeins!

Naomi said...

Yay, color! And I feel obliged to point out that I'm glad your car has functional brakes.

Laurie said...

What dyes do you use?

Cars/tires/brakes...I hate the part of adulthood that makes us spend money on things that aren't fun.